Matthew C. Crooks
accomplished leader with a successful 20+ year career establishing effective
teams, development and delivery models, and business-driven technology
solutions that have enabled national and global organizations to realize growth,
reduce costs, improve agility to evolving market and business changes, and minimize risks.
Deliver Business Value By:
· Building, developing, and mobilizing high-performing teams in exceeding established quality and delivery objectives.
· Collaborating with business, teams, and vendors to deliver solutions on-time, within budget, and with high quality.
· Guiding teams in learning and leveraging new technologies and standards to develop solutions with strong business value.
Team Development & Leadership · Software Design & Development · Requirements Gathering & Documentation
Budgeting Planning & Management · Project & Portfolio Management · Agile & Waterfall Delivery Methodologies
DISCOVERY COMMUNICATIONS, LLC. – Silver Spring, MD
manager, systems development & delivery (2007-2016)
Global Mass Media and Entertainment Company / 5,000 Employees / $6.5B in Revenue
Staff of 6-9 Onshore / Offshore Developers / Compensation Budget of $750K
Advanced and given total technical responsibility for portfolio of 4 highly transactional systems and 20 internal / external systems interfaces supporting national and international business units. Managed efforts of distributed teams in analyzing, developing, and implementing solutions to drive business value. Provided the dedicated leadership and technical expertise to align systems, solutions, and projects with evolving business goals. Managed all aspects of projects, drove the resolution of issues, and positioned teams as strategic partners to business entities.
Successes & Achievements:
· Assumed responsibility for the development and enhancements of internal/external interfaces to the International Sales & Scheduling System. Trained team member on new technologies, defined the transition strategy, and managed the successful transition with zero disruption to operations.
· Turned around and elevated performance of the Remedy ITIL Service Management development team. Drove the adoption of SLDC standards, trained on new role and technology, and migrated system to the Cloud-based ServiceNow Platform.
· Developed training programs that increased the team’s competency levels with new technologies. Instituted Coding standards and Code Review best practices that improved quality and timely delivery of solutions.
· Managed multi-phased project to replace 3 international reporting systems with a consolidated system leveraging Java and SSRS that eliminated $60K in licensing costs, eradicated duplicate reports, and provided users across Europe, Latin America, and Asia Pacific regions with a centralized means to access reports.
· Directed the decommissioning of data mart with numerous complex dependencies that saved $100K in yearly Oracle licensing fees. Collaborated with users, business analysts, and vendors throughout Latin America, Europe, and Asia Pacific regions to migrate interfaces and reports to Oracle transactional database.
· Recruited and led efforts of remote developer in London in building system interfaces to support new business opportunities and in migrating interfaces to standardized SSIS technology, contributing to increasing revenue, reducing operating costs, increasing monetization on the programming, and supporting compliance with regulatory requirements.
· Chosen and successfully turned around failing project to deliver new DORS System within 6 weeks. Identified issues, renegotiated project schedule and deliverables, and drove the adoption of Agile best practices.
DISCOVERY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.: TECHNICAL LEADER (2004-2007)
Staff of 6-9 Developers in domestic and international offices / Managed cross-functional project teams of up to 24
Promoted to manage geographically dispersed teams in the development, enhancement, and maintenance of mission-critical applications supporting national and international business entities. Collaborated with business analysts and stakeholders to develop requirements documents. Interfaced with application and production support groups to ensure optimal availability, performance, security, and compliance of portfolio of applications.
DISCOVERY COMMUNICATIONS, INC. – Continued…
Successes & Achievements
· Granted “Outstanding Achievement” Awards in 2005 and 2006 for successfully delivering 2 projects, on-time, on budget, and with high level of quality and user acceptance, including the largest project at the time in the history of the company.
· Introduced and oversaw the adoption of SDLC best practices and Peer Code Reviews that greatly improved quality.
· Replaced contractors with employees, integrated existing development team in Miami, and instituted training programs on new Oracle PL/SQL, MS SQL Server, SSIS, SSRS, Oracle Forms, and Java/J2EE technologies.
· Managed the development of new Affiliate Management System leveraging Oracle Forms and Oracle RDBMS that replaced 2 disparate systems, eliminated duplicate data entry, and slashed operating costs. Interfaced and directed with offshore development and production support team.
· Led year-long project to rollout major release of the International Affiliate Management System that led to revenue generation, subscriber growth, and affiliate retention. Led team in redesigning the invoicing module to meet the needs of each country, improving accuracy of invoices and enabling sales teams in each region to provide new favorable contracts to affiliates.
DISCOVERY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.: SENIOR APPLICATION DEVELOPER (2001-2004)
Member of team supporting portfolio of applications for the Affiliate Sales business entity.
Originally retained as a Consultant and recruited as an employee within 2 years to design and implement enhancements into highly transactional Affiliate Information System.
Successes & Achievements
· Collaborated in designing and implementing new functionality into Affiliate Information System leveraging PowerBuilder and MS SQL Server technology.
· Assisted in developing the roadmap to integrate the Affiliate Information System with third-party software.
CAMBRIDGE ASSOCIATES, INC. – Arlington, VA
business AREA MANAGER / PROJECT MANAGER (1994-2000)
Investment Portfolio Management Firm Servicing Non-Profit Organizations, Higher Education Institutions & Private Clients
Staff of 3 Lead Programmers and 4 Junior/Mid-Level Programmer Analysts Supporting 4 Mission-Critical Systems
Originally brought in as a Systems Analyst / Developer to support and enhance portfolio of 3 applications as company was growing rapidly and expanding into the higher education market. Promoted within 3 years to develop new and enhance existing systems to meet evolving business needs. Interfaced effectively between business users, vendors, and team to develop solutions with strong return on investments.
Successes & Achievements
· Managed all efforts to rewrite legacy Financial Reporting and Membership Management Systems to PowerBuilder and MS SQL Server technologies that increased accessibility to data.
· Assumed responsibility for the managing third-party vendor in developing the new Market Index Tracking System leveraging Cold Fusion technology that automated manual functions.
· Planned, tracked, managed, and ensured the timely rollout of new projects. Identified business needs, estimated costs, assigned resources, and ensured the on-time and quality delivery of new systems and functionality.
· Trained and mentored direct reports on new technologies and software development lifecycle best practices.
Project Manager · ONE POINT COMMUNICATIONS/VERIZON AVENUE
Senior Software Engineer · METROCALL, INC.
Programmer Analyst · INTEGRATED COMPUTER SYSTEMS
Programmer Analyst · OGDEN GOVERNMENT SYSTEMS
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY – Fairfax, VA